Makes: 4-6 servings
Cook along with Maria in this month's virtual Food & Families. We are making Broccoli Salad and Chickpea Fritters!
1 can chickpeas, drained
1/2 small onion, peeled, trimmed, and finely chopped, about 1/4 cup
Optional: 2 scallions, white and light green parts only, chopped
3 cloves garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped
3/4 teaspoons cumin
1/4 teaspoon coriander
3 to 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
Optional: 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, cilantro, basil, and/or dill, finely chopped
Optional: Salt and pepper, to taste
Extra virgin olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 400 F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Place the chickpeas in a bowl and mash with a potato masher until chickpeas are coarsely chopped. Add onion, scallions (if using), garlic, cumin, and coriander
3. Add 3 tablespoons of flour and baking powder, and stir to combine
4. Transfer the mixture to a bowl, and stir a couple of times to ensure that the ingredients are evenly mixed.
5. If the mixture is too wet to form into patties, sprinkle with an additional tablespoon of flour, and mix well (If it is too dry, add a little olive oil)
6. Lightly grease the baking pan with olive oil. With clean, oiled hands, shape walnut-sized pieces of the chickpea mixture into balls, then flatten slightly.
7. Place the chickpea patties on the prepared pan and drizzle with more olive oil.
8. Bake in the preheated oven for 14 minutes, carefully turn over, and bake for about 10 minutes more, or until the fritters are firm and golden on both sides.
9. Serve and enjoy!