Try out this delicious and hearty soup recipe adapted from a recipe by Julia Turshen. In Food Demo today we served it with some Buttermilk Drop Biscuits. This really is the perfect meal for a cold winter day!
Makes: 8-10 serving
2 Tablespoons vegetable or other oil
2 medium sized onions, diced
3 cups squash, peeled and cubed (optional)
6 cloves garlic, minced
3 Tablespoons fresh ginger, grated or 1 and ½ Tablespoons ginger powder
1 small (6 ounce) can tomato paste
2 Tablespoons curry powder
2 Tablespoons chili powder
1- 13.5 ounce (398 gram) can coconut milk
8 cups water
2 cups red lentils
½ to 1 Tablespoons salt
1. In a large pot over medium heat add oil, onions, squash, garlic and ginger. Cook until onions soften about 5 minutes.
2. Add tomato paste, curry powder, and chili powder and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
3. Stir in the coconut milk, water and lentils along with salt.
4. Increase heat and bring soup to a boil then lower, partially cover pot and simmer, stirring occasionally, until squash and lentils have softened, about 18 minutes.
5. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve as is or on top of rice with a dollop of plain yogurt!
If you want to share any photos of your cooking or have any questions please feel free to get in touch with Melissa at firstname.lastname@example.org