As the weather changes to Fall it is the perfect time for this cozy and delicious Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe! We had so much fun making and eating this soup in Food Demo.
Want to join us for next week's Food Demo? Get on the interest list by calling us at 902-464-8234 ext.0 or send us a private Facebook message.
Makes: 8 serving
1 pound chicken thighs
2 medium onions, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced OR 1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 green pepper, diced (optional)
1 and 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 Tablespoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon chili flakes (optional)
1- 19 oz can black beans, drained OR 2 cups cooked
1- 28 ounce can tomatoes, diced
1 and ½ cups frozen corn
5 cups water OR stock, warmed
3 Tablespoons cider OR other vinegar
Garnish Ingredients (optional):
Sour cream or plain yogurt
4 green onions, thinly sliced
1. Sear Chicken: In a large pot over medium-high heat add oil. Once oil is hot, place chicken in the pot. Allow to cook, undisturbed, until each side is golden browned, about 3 to 4 minutes per side.
2. Reduce heat to low, add onions, garlic, green peppers (if using) and cook, stirring from time to time, until onions begin to soften and become translucent, about 5 minutes.
3. Add seasonings: salt, chili powder, cumin and chili flakes. Stir well and allow to cook for a minute or so.
4. Increase heat to medium- high and add black beans, tomatoes, corn and water. Bring to boil then reduce heat so that soup is barely simmering and cook for about 15 minutes until the meat begins to loosen from the bones.
5. Shred Chicken: With a slotted spoon, remove chicken from the soup and place on a plate and using 2 forks to pull the meat apart (it is ok if the meat isn’t fully cooked at this point). Return shredded chicken back to the soup and continue to cook if the chicken requires more cooking.
6. Stir in vinegar, taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
7. Serve with tortilla chips, yogurt or sour cream and sliced green onions if you wish!
If you want to share any photos of your cooking or have any questions please feel free to get in touch with Melissa at email@example.com