We had a great turn out for the Food Demo with Melissa today. People contributed really good questions and suggestions all through the program. Try out this recipe at home and let us know how it goes!
Bacon Corn Chowder with Red Lentils
Makes: 8 servings
6 strips bacon, finely chopped
2 medium onions, diced
2 medium sized carrots, diced (optional)
2 garlic cloves, minced OR ½ teaspoon of garlic powder
2 teaspoons dried thyme
¼ cup all-purpose flour
5 cups water OR vegetable stock
3 medium potatoes, diced
1/3 cup dried red lentils, rinsed
2 cups milk
3 cups of corn (fresh, frozen, canned or creamed)
2 teaspoons salt
1 and ½ teaspoons pepper
¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
1. Heat a large pot over medium/high heat, add bacon and cook until brown and crispy then remove bacon and drain on paper towel. Leave bacon fat in the pot.
2. Reduce heat slightly and add the onion, carrots, garlic, and thyme and cook until the vegetables begin to soften, about 10 minutes. If the pot seems dry at any point add a bit of vegetable oil.
3. Dust the vegetables with flour and stir to coat everything well. Pour in the water or stock then add the potatoes and red lentils. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and allow the soup to simmer to thicken, about 15 minutes.
4. Add milk, corn, salt, pepper as well as the bacon back to the pot and stir. Allow the corn to heat through, about 5 minutes.
5. Stir in parsley (if using), taste the soup and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Serve hot!
*Vegetarian Modifications: Omit bacon and use vegetable oil to cook vegetables in Step Two.
**Vegan Modifications: Omit bacon, use vegetable oil to cook vegetables in Step Two and coconut milk OR another plant based milk instead of regular milk.
If you want to share any photos of your cooking or have any questions please feel free to get in touch with Melissa at firstname.lastname@example.org