Makes: 12" pizza
Try making this delicious pizza recipe with your children! You can follow along with Maryann and Maria in the Food and Families video.
Sing the song P-I-Z-Z-A ( to the tune of "B-I-N-G-O") with your kids as you cook:
I had a pizza big and round, / And all of it was mine-O! / P-I-Z-Z-A x 3 / And all of it was mine-O!
Easy Pizza Sauce
Pizza Sauce Ingedients:
28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 large onion diced
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. basil
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1. Sauté onions in oil in large pot over medium heat until onions are tender, about 10 minutes.
2. Add tomatoes, oregano, basil, salt and pepper.
3. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer uncovered stirring occasionally until thickened, about 45 minutes.
This recipe makes enough for 2 large pizzas. Left over sauce can be frozen.
Quick Pizza Dough
Pizza Dough Ingredients:
1 package dry, active yeast (2 1/4 tsp.)
1 tsp. sugar
1 cup warm water (110 degrees F.)
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, stir yeast and sugar into warm water and let it sit for 5-10 minutes until it looks creamy.
3. When yeast is frothy, add flour, salt, and oil and stir until well mixed.
4. Form a smooth ball. Let it rest for 5 minutes.
6. Transfer to a lightly oiled pan.
7. Spread pizza sauce and add veggie toppings to medley or the toppings that you prefer.
8. Top with mozzarella cheese.
9. Bake for 18-20 minutes.
Pizza Topping Medley
1 onion diced
1 medium red bell pepper diced
2 medium tomatoes diced
8 oz. mushrooms sliced
1 tbsp. olive oil
1. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Add onions, mushrooms, and peppers. Cook for 3 minutes.
3. Transfer veggies into a colander, stir in tomatoes. Let sit 5 minutes to drain excess liquid.