We love this recipe because it is so easy to adjust to use whatever you have in the fridge! What's your favourite way to customize a tuna casserole?
Makes: 6 serving
4 cups of small pasta (ex. Macaroni, fusilli), boiled
½ cup red lentils, cooked (optional)
1 medium sized onion, diced small
1 stalk celery, diced small (optional)
2 cloves garlic OR ½ teaspoon garlic powder, minced
1 and ½ cup frozen, fresh OR canned mixed vegetables
2 cups fresh mushrooms OR 1 (284 ml) can drained, roughly chopped (optional)
1 to 2 cans (284 grams) tuna, drained and flaked
White Sauce Ingredients:
¼ cup butter OR margarine
¼ cup flour
2 cups milk
½ teaspoon salt and pepper
1 cup bread OR cracker crumbs
½ cup cheddar cheese, grated
1. Boil Pasta: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions.
2. Cook Lentils (if using): In a small pot, add 1 cup of water and bring to a boil. Add red lentils and reduce heat to low. Cover pot and allow to simmer until lentils are soft and water has been absorbed, about 10 to 15 minutes. Strain any remaining liquid once the lentils are cooked. If lentils need to cook longer add more liquid.
3. Cook vegetables: Add a splash of oil to a medium sized pot over medium to high heat, add oil, onions, garlic and mushrooms and cook for about 7 minutes. When vegetables are soft and most of the liquid from mushrooms has evaporated, stir in mixed vegetables and cook until everything is heated through.
4. Make white sauce: Using the same pot, melt butter then whisk in flour a little at a time until smooth. Gradually whisk in milk and continue cooking for about 5 minutes, until sauce is smooth and slightly thickened. Whisk in salt and pepper.
5. Putting it all together: Stir in cooked pasta, red lentils and tuna to the white sauce and vegetable mixture and allow everything to heat through. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
6. Topping (if using): If your pot isn’t oven safe, transfer warm casserole to a 13x9 inch casserole dish, mix topping ingredients together and sprinkle over top. Put in oven under the broiler until top is brown and bubbly, be sure to keep a close eye to make sure nothing burns. Serve hot!
If you want to share any photos of your cooking or have any questions please feel free to get in touch with Melissa at firstname.lastname@example.org