We are so happy to have people back inside the space sharing food together! If you missed our first in-person Food Demo of the year, don't worry because here is the recipe for you to try at home. We'd love to see how you make this nourishing winter recipe.
Chicken Pot Pie with Mashed Potato Topping
Makes: 1- 8 x 8 inch baking pan
5 to 6 medium sized unpeeled potatoes, scrubbed and quartered
¼ cup butter
1/2 cup milk
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cups raw chicken, cut into ½ inch cubed
1⁄3 cup butter
1 medium onion, diced
1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup water OR vegetable or chicken broth, warmed (can use some of the potato cooking water)
1 cup milk
1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
2 cups peas and carrots, frozen or canned
1. Preheat oven to 425°F and position rack in centre of oven.
2. Boil and mash potatoes: Place a large pot of salted water on to boil. Once boiling, add potatoes, reduce heat slightly and leave them to cook until they are tender but still firm, about 12 to 15 minutes. Drain potatoes well, add butter, milk, salt and pepper to the pot and mash roughly. Taste and adjust seasoning. Put aside and keep warm.
3. Cook Chicken: In a medium sized pot over medium to high heat add a splash of oil, when pot is hot add chicken and cook until chicken is just about cooked through then transfer to a plate. The chicken will continue to cook when added back to the pot as well as in the oven.
4. Cook onions and make the sauce: In the same pot over low to medium heat, add butter, when melted add the onion and cook until it has softened, about 5 minutes then add flour and mix well. Slowly whisk in broth. Once the mixture has thickened, whisk in the milk. Add the salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, mixed vegetables and chicken back to the pot. Allow to simmer until thick and chicken has finished cooking, stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust seasoning.
5. Putting it together: Transfer hot filling to a 8 x 8 inch baking pan or leave in the pot if it is oven safe. Spread mashed potato mixture.
6. Bake: Place in oven and bake until bubbly and browned on top, about 20 minutes
If you want to share any photos of your cooking or have any questions please feel free to get in touch with Melissa at firstname.lastname@example.org