This week in Food Demo we made this delicious and hearty Chicken Pot Pie with Mashed Potato Topping! Try it with some cranberry sauce for a festive flavour.
Makes: 8 x 8 inch baking pan
Potato Topping Ingredients:
5 to 6 medium sized unpeeled potatoes, scrubbed and boiled
¼ cup butter
1 cup milk
Salt and pepper to taste
1 egg (optional)
Pot Pie Ingredients:
2 cups raw chicken (approximately 2 chicken breasts), ½ inch cubed
1⁄3 cup butter
1 and ½ cups peas and carrots, frozen or canned
3/4 cups celery, sliced
1 medium onion, diced
1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup water OR vegetable or chicken broth, warmed (can use some of the potato cooking water)
1 cup milk
1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1⁄2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1. Preheat oven to 425°F and position rack in centre of oven.
2. Boil and mash potatoes: Place a large pot of salted water on to boil. Once boiling, add potatoes, reduce heat slightly and leave them to cook until they are tender but still firm, about 12 to 15 minutes. Drain, add butter and cheese, mash roughly. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Put aside and keep warm.
3. Cook Chicken: In a medium sized pot over medium to high heat add a splash of oil, when pot is hot add chicken and cook until chicken is just about cooked through then transfer to a plate. The chicken will continue to cook when added back to the pot as well as in the oven.
4. Cook vegetables and make the sauce: In the same pot over low to medium heat, add butter, when melted add the mixed vegetables, onion and celery. Cook until vegetables have softened, about 5 to 10 minutes. Add flour and mix well then slowly whisk in broth. Once the mixture has thickened whisk in the milk. Add the salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and chicken back to the pot. Allow to simmer until thick and chicken has finished cooking, stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust seasoning.
5. Putting it together: Transfer hot filling to a 8 x 8 inch baking pan or leave in the pot if it is oven safe. Spread mashed potato mixture over top and brush with egg wash (if using).
6. Bake: Place in oven and bake until bubbly and browned on top, about 20 minutes
If you want to share any photos of your cooking or have any questions please feel free to get in touch with Melissa at firstname.lastname@example.org