Today in the Food Demo with Melissa we made a black bean and barley salad with hummus and croutons as a tasty side. Below are the recipes for both!
Black Bean and Barley Salad
Makes: 4 servings
1 cup cooked black beans
½ cup barley, cooked
1 cup canned or frozen corn
½ small onion, diced
2 cups vegetables of your choice (tomatoes, cucumber, celery, bell peppers, carrots…), diced
½ cup feta cheese, crumbled (optional)
1/2 cup cider vinegar
¼ cup lime juice
½ teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon white sugar
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
1/2 cup canola or other oil
Optional Add ins/garnishes:
Instructions: Barley, like most grains more than double in size when they cook. The ratio to keep in mind when you cook barley is: 2 parts water to 1 part grain. 1. Cook barley: Place 1 cup of water in a small pot over high heat, you can add a pinch of salt to the water if you wish. Once water has reached a boil, add your barley and reduce heat to low. Place cover on pot and allow to cook until barley becomes tender and chewy, about 15 minutes.
2. Make the dressing: In a medium sized bowl whisk all ingredients together or add all ingredients to a jar, cover with a lid and shake well. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
3. Put salad together: Combine all salad ingredients together, if you are going to serve the salad right away, add the dressing, a little at a time and toss until it is dressed the way you like it, you may not need it all!
NOTE: If you plan to eat the salad throughout the week, it’s best to dress it just before or an hour or two before eating. The salad will last for about a week in the fridge!
Red Lentil Hummus
Makes: 3 cups
1 and ½ cups red lentils, rinsed and cooked
3 garlic cloves, minced OR 2 teaspoons garlic powder
¼ cup lemon juice, fresh or from concentrate
½ cup tahini paste
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 and ½ teaspoons ground coriander (optional)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Water, see below
1. Rinse red lentils well and place in a medium sized pot with 3 cups of water; bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain lentils if needed, transfer to a bowl and stir rapidly until lentil mixture is smooth. Allow lentils to cool slightly.
2. Stir in remaining ingredients, if the hummus looks too thick add a bit of water, a couple tablespoons at a time until it is the consistency you like.
3. Taste and adjust seasoning; adding more salt, lemon juice, or spices if you need to
4. Serve with vegetables or fruit, toast, pita chips, store in the fridge for up to 5 to 7 days or freeze up to 3 months!
If you want to share any photos of your cooking or have any questions please feel free to get in touch with Melissa at email@example.com