This week in Young Cooks we made some delicious cheddar and herbed sweet potato biscuits to go with our corn chowder with red lentils!
Makes: 12 biscuits
1 and 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (OR 1 cup all-purpose flour and ¾ cup whole wheat)
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons baking powder
pinch nutmeg/cinnamon/ginger (optional)
¾ cup Cheddar cheese, grated
1 cup cooked sweet potato, mashed or pureed
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup milk (any type)
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
2 to 3 Tablespoons fresh herbs, finely chopped (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400⁰F.
2. In a small bowl, stir together: flour, salt, baking powder, spices, herbs and cheese.
3. In a medium bowl, stir together: sweet potato, oil, milk, egg, and sugar.
4. Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients until evenly moistened.
5. Drop spoonfuls of dough directly on greased baking sheet about 1 inch apart.
7. Bake until golden, 12 to 15 minutes.
If you want to share any photos of your cooking or have any questions please feel free to get in touch with Melissa at firstname.lastname@example.org