Makes: 4 servings
2 cups rice (white or brown), cooked
Stir- fry Sauce:
1 and 1/2 Tablespoons cornstarch
1 to 2 Tablespoons sugar
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup water
2 Tablespoons cider or other vinegar
¼ to ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
1 teaspoon ginger powder OR a 2 inch piece of ginger root, grated
2 large cloves garlic, minced OR 1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 to 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
4 large eggs, beaten
5 to 6 cups mixed vegetables, chopped roughly same size
¼ cup peanuts, roughly chopped
Chopped green onions (optional)
1. Prepare Rice: Bring 4 cups of water to the boil, add rice and turn heat down. Simmer until rice is tender and water is absorbed.
2. Prepare Stir-fry Sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together all stir-fry sauce ingredients & put aside.
3. Scramble Eggs: In a large frying pan, heat small amount of oil over medium/ high heat. Add the eggs and scramble until firm. Transfer to a plate.
4. Stir-fry Vegetables: In same large frying pan, increase heat and add small amount of oil, when hot, add vegetables and stir-fry for about 2 to 3 minutes, or longer if you want softer vegetables. (Careful not to over crowd, if you want crisper vegetables, you may need to cook them in batches!)
5. Putting it all together: Reduce heat, add stir-fry sauce, a little at a time, you may not need it all! Simmer until sauce has thickened, then add egg back to the pan and stir.
Serve stir-fry on top of rice and sprinkle with peanuts!
If you want to share any photos of your cooking or have any questions please feel free to get in touch with Melissa at firstname.lastname@example.org