This is a classic recipe from our kitchen. It's a great one-pot meal that doesn't use too many dishes and is hearty and healthy. Bon appétit!
Makes: 7 servings
*Make vegetarian by swapping ground beef for extra mushrooms and/or a cup of cooked lentils!
1 pound ground beef
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced OR 1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 cups of fresh mushrooms, sliced OR 1 can sliced mushrooms, drained
2 cups tomato sauce
1 large can (28 ounce) of tomatoes and juice, diced
3/4 cup water
½ to 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 Tablespoons Italian seasoning
12 lasagna noodles, broken into bite sized squares
1 cup regular cottage cheese
½ cup mozzarella, grated
¼- ½ cup basil, roughly chopped (optional)
Optional add ins:
1 carrot, grated
a stalk celery, diced
½ to 1 small zucchini, diced
½ - 300 gram package of frozen spinach OR fresh
1. In a large pot, set over medium heat add ground beef and onions and any other vegetable that you are using and cook until vegetables have softened and meat is no longer pink.
2. Increase heat a little bit and add: garlic and mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until everything softens, about 5 to 10 minutes.
3. Add tomato sauce, tomatoes, water, red chili flakes, herbs, salt and pepper to the pot. Stir the mixture and bring the sauce to a simmer.
4. Add the broken lasagna noodles and cover completely with the sauce. Let cook for 15 minutes or so with the cover on, until the noodles are done. If the pan seems dry at any point add a bit more water.
5. Add cottage cheese and stir gently to mix into the sauce. Taste and adjust for salt and pepper. Sprinkle mozzarella and basil on top. Allow cheese to melt and serve.
If you want to share any photos of your cooking or have any questions please feel free to get in touch with Melissa at email@example.com