Food Demos are on pause as we settle in to lockdown, but to help get you through, here are the recipes from last week! This tasty veggie burger recipe was adapted from a recipe by Angela Liddon.
"I now have some ideas of what to do with all of that mint that I grow!" - Program Participant
Delicious Veggie Burgers
Makes: 8 burgers
1/2 cup sunflower seeds, toasted
Canola or other oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 large garlic cloves, minced OR 1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 and ½ teaspoons chili powder
1 and ½ teaspoons dried oregano OR Italian Seasoning
1 and ½ teaspoons ground cumin
3 Tablespoons soya sauce
½ teaspoon pepper
¼ teaspoon salt, if needed
1-19 ounce can black beans, drained and roughly mashed
1 cup carrots, grated
3/4 cup rolled oats
3/4 cup bread crumbs OR cracker crumbs
1 egg, beaten
1 to 2 Tablespoons flour, if needed
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Toast seeds: In large pot over medium heat add seeds; toss often until they become aromatic and lightly brown. Transfer to a plate to stop them from cooking.
3. Cook the onions: Reduce heat to low and add the oil and onions and cook for 5 minutes or so until soft and start to turn golden, then add garlic or garlic powder and cook for another minute.
4. Add spices and seasoning: Increase slightly and add chili, oregano/Italian seasoning and cumin, soya sauce, salt and pepper and cook for a minute.
5. Add the bulk: Add the seeds, mashed black beans, carrots, rolled oats, bread crumbs and egg to the onion mixture and mix well until everything comes together. The mixture should be easy to shape into patties, if not, add a bit more flour until it does.
6. Shape: into 8 patties (roughly 1/3 cup mixture per patty), packing mixture together tightly. Place on the baking sheet.
7. Bake patties: for 15 minutes, gently flip, and bake for another 15 minutes until patties are firm and golden.
8. Allow patties to cool for about 5 minutes before serving, this helps them firm up a bit.
Serve on a bun with desired toppings.
Carrot and Herb Salad
Makes: 6-8 servings
5 large carrots, grated
½ cucumber, diced
1 apple, diced (optional)
½ cup fresh cilantro, roughly torn (optional)
½ cup fresh mint, roughly torn
¼ cup fresh basil, roughly torn
4 green onions, thinly sliced
¼ cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup Dijon vinaigrette (see recipe)
1. Combine all salad ingredients in a large bowl.
2. Add vinaigrette, a little at a time, taking care not to over dress salad. Taste and adjust seasoning, may need to add more vinaigrette.
3. Serve with sunflower seeds sprinkled on top.
4. Store in fridge for up to 3 days!
If you want to share any photos of your cooking or have any questions please feel free to get in touch with Melissa at email@example.com