Makes: 8 servings
We made some delicious chili together in Food & Families this week! The kids even got into the toy kitchen for some creative play time.
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup chopped onions
¾ cup chopped carrots
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup chopped green pepper
1 cup chopped red
¾ cup chopped celery
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 ½ cups chopped fresh mushrooms
1 (28 ounce) can of diced tomatoes
1 (19 ounce) can kidney beans,
drained and rinsed
1 (11 ounce) can whole kernel corn, undrained
1 can of tomato paste
2 cups of vegetable broth
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 ½ teaspoons dried oregano
1 ½ teaspoons dried basil
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
2. Sauté onions, carrots, and garlic until tender.
3. Stir in green pepper, red pepper, celery, and chili powder. Cook until vegetables are tender, about 6 minutes.
4. Stir in mushrooms, and cook 4 minutes.
5. Stir in tomatoes, drained kidney beans, and corn.
6. Season with cumin, oregano, and basil.
7. Add vegetable broth and stir.
8. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to medium. Cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.