Makes: 4 servings
1 large eggplant, diced
2 green peppers
2 medium sized potatoes, peeled and diced
1 can tomato sauce
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon salt (or more depending on your taste)
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried coriander
1 tablespoon vinegar
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup vegetable oil for frying and brushing
1. Peel the eggplant and cut in half lengthways. Then dice the eggplant and sprinkle with kosher salt and set aside to get rid of any extra bitterness (about 15 minutes).
2. In a frying pan, add 1/2 a cup of vegetable oil and when hot, add the potatoes. Fry the potatoes until golden. This usually takes 10-15 minutes. After the potatoes are done, carefully take them out of the frying pan and set them on paper towels to absorb any excess oil.
3. Cut the peppers into slices and set aside.
4. Preheat oven to 400 F and then set the eggplants, peppers on a baking sheet and lightly brush with vegetable oil.
5. Place the baking set in the preheated oven for about 10-15 minutes checking on them half way through. The vegetables should look tender and not necessarily golden.
6. In a saucepan, add 2 table spoons of vegetable oil and then add the minced garlic cloves. Stir the garlic and once golden add the vinegar, tomato sauce and paste. Stir everything together and let simmer for about 5 minutes. Add salt, black pepper and the dried coriander.
7. Add the eggplant, green peppers and fried potatoes to the tomato sauce and stir. Let simmer for another 5-10 minutes on medium to low heat.
8. Serve the moussaka with pita bread or white rice and enjoy.